Please note the following:
- Promotion will be on a course by course basis.
- 18 credits will be compulsory and 12 credits will be electives
- Literacy Diploma Requirement – in order to receive the OSSD (Ontario Secondary School Diploma) all students must either pass the Grade 10 Literacy Test or, if a student has had the opportunity to write the test once and not succeeded then the student must pass the Grade 12 Literacy Course.
- All students must complete 40 hours of community involvement
- Students in Grades 9 to 11 will continue to develop their annual education plan with the assistance of their parents, guidance counsellor and teachers.
1) The Ontario Secondary School Diploma
12 Elective Credits
30 Total Credits
1 French or Ojibway
1 Canadian History
1 Canadian Geography
1 Health and Physical Education
1 Civics (½ credit)
1 Career Studies (½ credit)
1 Arts (Drama, Music, Visual Art)
- 1 additional credit in English, or French as a second language, or a Native Language, or a classical or an international language, or social sciences and the humanities, or Canadian and world studies, or guidance and career education, or cooperative education
- 1 additional credit in health and physical education, or business studies, or the arts, or cooperative education.
- 1 additional credit in science or technological education, or cooperative education
Additional Graduation Requirements include:
- 40 hours of community service and
- successful completion of the grade 10 literacy test or the grade 12 literacy course.
2) The Certificate of Accomplishment
Students who leave school before fulfilling the requirements for the Ontario Secondary School Diploma or the Ontario Secondary School Certificate may be granted a Certificate of Accomplishment. The Certificate of Accomplishment may be a useful means of recognizing achievement for students who plan to take certain vocational programs or other kinds of further training, or who plan to find employment after leaving school.
3) The Ontario Secondary School Certificate
The Ontario Secondary School Certificate will be granted on request to students who leave school before earning the Ontario Secondary School Diploma, provided that they have earned a minimum of 14 credits distributed as follows:
- 2 credits in English
- 1 credit in Canadian geography or Canadian history
- 1 credit in mathematics
- 1 credit in science
- 1 credit in health and physical education
- 1 credit in the arts or technological education
- 7 Optional credits
- 14 Total Credits
Remember that you can track your progress towards graduation with the help of your guidance counsellor and the online tool: myBlueprint.ca